Transfers are done for a variety of reasons to move expenses of funds between different University accounts. They come in two varies, general cost transfers and payroll transfers. These are executed with forms or different modules in the ACCTS application.

  • General cost transfers can be divided into two different types, journal vouchers and expense transfers. Journal vouchers can be thought of as moving funds between accounts whereas expense transfers move specific transactions between accounts; this is an important distinction. When conducting a journal voucher, a credit is logged on one more accounts and is offset by a debit entry on one or more accounts--essentially transferring funds from one account to another. When conducting an expense transfer, the credit account is freed from a specific expense and the debit account is charged for the transferred expense. Journal vouchers are generally used only with unrestricted accounts and not with sponsored awards though there are some exceptions like recharge billing.
  • Payroll transfers are similar to expense transfers in that they move specifc payroll entries from one account to another.

Expense transfers and payroll transfers to or from sponsored awards should be initiated within 90-days of the time the expense originally posted to FAS. If done after 90-days, the transfer is considered late and needs to be accompanied by a late cost transfer form. This form must explain the tardiness of the transfer (not just the need to initiate it) and carry the requisite signatures. Moving costs between subaccounts or associate accounts for the same award can be done at any time.

  • Unlike other transfers, payroll transfers do not appear on the monthly ledgers with an identifiable transactions number. Instead, evidence of payroll transfers only appears on the payroll registers.